Monday, July 13, 2009

Trail Riding Experiences: Some Helpful Tips on using the Proper Saddle Pad and Tack

I grew up being around horses since I was eight or nine years old, you will excuse me if I don't reveal my age let's just say it has been a few decades, and now I have really enjoyed having them on my own property rather than boarding them. My dreams of taking caring of them at my home have come true, I am blessed. With that said I have been able to bond with my horse now more than ever.

I remember one day in early spring a friend and myself loaded the horses and took off to our state park, it was a good day for riding. We discussed the colors we would coordinate with the saddle pads and bridles but most important the correct type to use on the horses. Speaking of the type of bridles, often times your horse will already be trained with a certain bit, but be sure to check with an experienced horseman or horsewoman to provide your horse with the correct one. We got our horses and tack unloaded, sprayed them down with a good fly spray, which I think is a good idea, bees and fly's are usually out this time of year in the southeast. We saddled up and away we went, both of our saddles were western pleasure and the pads were of fleece materials and of course matched our shirt colors, I think mine was a lime green saddle pad and you could spot me quite easily. This is a good idea from a safety stand point if you are riding beside a main road or crossing one. Keep in mind the right saddle pad doesn't always come in bright colors so be sure to put the health and comfort for your horse first. Always choose one that offers the best fit for your horse and saddle.

We stopped and spoke to some other riders, this is good for your horse too, he or she will learn to stand still, although this does take time for some horses to learn. In the two hours that we rode, we were able to ride the horses across a bridge, through some creeks and mud, mine really hates walking through mud, but with time and a some coaxing she finally trusted what I asked her to do. I have heard people say putting miles on a horse is one of the best training tools for your horse, and a confidence builder to the rider, my horse is proof that it works.

This is just one of the many trail rides that my horse and I have experienced plus they have been good for creating a better relationship between the both of us. With the time and effort you spend working with your horse you will find that challenges become a little easier for the horse when introduced to different surroundings. Consistency definitely plays a major role in any form of riding, especially when your horse begins to trust what you are asking him or her to do. Always remember to ride safely using common sense and good judgment. Happy Trails.



As Featured On EzineArticles


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Karen_Bonnay

Ads by Google
Buy 2 Get 2 Free Garlic
Save 50% Horse Bug Off Garlic Safely Repel Flies Ticks Mosquitoes
Springtimeinc.com
Rent Horse Training DVDs
Western & Dressage Videos From The Top Trainers Starting at Under $10!
www.giddyupflix.com
Round Pens - $764 and Up
Shipping Included Most Locations Heavy Duty Cattle Strong Horse Safe
www.bairdgate.com
Horse Training That WORKS
Solve The Tough Training Problems Take Control & Enjoy Your Horse NOW
HorseTrainingResources.com
Western Tack Clearance
Horse Tack and much more Free Shipping call (800)967-2335
www.SaddleOnline.com
Horse Videos
Get Ready For All Horse Videos Free Video From National Geographic
NationalGeographic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment