Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Saddle Pad Equestrian Friend




The posts I have written about so far have been written on information I have collected and wanted to share with others. This one however is introducing the Quarter horse that I have owned and loved for the last eight years. I wanted to make this post about Scarlett, a now twenty six year old quarter horse mare and one of the most gentle and kind horses that I have ever owned. I admit she has some age on her but her background in cutting or roping speaks for itself. She could spin and turn on a dime, although she can't be ridden that way anymore Scarlett is a great influence on my younger Tennessee Walking horse, and her calmness sometimes amazes me in certain situations.

Her color looks more like a buckskin in the summer months and a gruela in winter months. I remember taking her out on trails when she could keep up with almost any gaited horse that she was with, her walk was always a quick stepping one. The saddle and pad I use for her is western style however, she has done well with an English saddle just for trail riding, not in any competing equestrian classes.

In the mornings she whinny's at the gate demanding her feeding, I always say she is a very verbal horse she loves to talk, and it is amusing to hear her when we take a trip to the veterinarian clinic. I really appreciate the fact that she is a people horse and Scarlett enjoys being around children, there have been several led around while sitting on her back. I like to brag on her a bit when she loads onto the horse trailer all you have to do is stand her at the rear doors where she needs to load and she steps up into the trailer by herself. Someone spent a lot of hours and days working and teaching this horse properly and I benefit from it every day.

I use a wool and felt type of saddle pad whenever we go for a short trail ride, it helps with the cushioning and moisture functions that you require from a good saddle pad. The saddle is another important factor, you must have proper fit to ensure the comfort of your horse.




No comments:

Post a Comment